This week’s prayer focus is on the upcoming Sunshine Coast Council elections on Saturday, 28 March 2020. As our region prepares to go to the polls, take a moment to pray for all those who are standing, the electoral process and for peace and safety across polling stations.
1) Pray for all the candidates Pray for all those standing for election. Ask that God will grant them peace as they await the results. Heavenly father, we lift every candidate to you. We pray that whatever the result you will be with each of them. Help those elected to be humble in victory and for peace for those who were unsuccessful. Amen.
2) Give thanks Take a moment to give thanks and praise God that we live in a country where we have the right to vote. Loving Lord, we give you thanks that we live in a place with such freedoms. Amen.
3) Pray for polling stations Lift up your local polling station. Pray the election will go peacefully and for protection over all those manning the stations and over voters. Father God, we uplift up polling stations across the region. We pray for safety as people turn out to vote. Give strength and energy to those manning the stations and for those who will be counting the votes. Amen.
4) Lift up those who are anxious or worried Elections can be a time of uncertainty. Take a moment to pray for those who may be feeling anxious or worried. Heavenly father, we ask that you help us to continually to fix our eyes on You. Draw close to those who are struggling, remind them of your steadfastness and fill them with your peace. Amen.
5) Pray for young people Lift those who will be voting for the first time in this election. Pray that young people will feel equipped with the knowledge they need to cast their vote. Loving Lord, we thank you for young people. Today we lift up those who will be voting for the first time. We pray for great excitement as they exercise this new right. Amen.
6) Pray for the new council government Throughout the Bible we are commanded to pray for those in leadership. No matter what the election result is, take a moment to pray for the newly formed government. “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Timothy 2:1-3 Father God, we lift our new government to you. We ask that you fill each member with wisdom as they seek to represent their constituents. Equip them with the knowledge of the need and help them govern with unity. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Core Commitment: Regularly Gathering for Worship
Each week, we pray through one of the Core Commitments from our church vision. This week’s commitment is:
By grace, we are committed to grow together in Jesus through regularly gathering together as a body of believers for worship Hebrews 10:24-25
Pray: That we would prioritise and look forward to gathering together as a church family to worship Jesus