If the goal of the church is Christlikeness, then the diet for the church must be the Bible. After all, it is the Bible that God uses to make the child of God more like the Son of God (John 17:17). Therefore, we can pray that the church would be filled with people who hunger for hearing from God in their private devotions, public gatherings, and conversations with other believers. Imagine the impact of a church full of people who wake up eager to come and hear the Word preached on Sunday morning. Imagine a church that longs to open the Bible each morning to discover anew the truth of God’s character and conquests. Imagine hearts so overflowing with the Bible that their text messages, conversations, and meditations just drip with the Scriptures. Everything pivots on what we do with the Bible. (from ligonier.org)
- Pray that the Father give our church—give us, individually—an abiding delight in His Word.
- Pray that He cause us always to hunger for the truth while being ever satisfied with the truth.
- That the Lord make our church a Bible-saturated church.
- That He bless our pastors’ preparation for preaching and teaching, that their work would be faithful to the Word, in Spirit-dependent labour in study and proclamation.
- That as our Shorter Catechism teaches, that the Spirit of God make the reading, but especially the preaching of the Word, an effectual means of convincing and converting sinners, and of building them up in holiness and comfort through faith unto salvation.